Oral Appliance Therapy is effective, reliable sleep apnea treatment that requires nothing but the appliance that many say resembles a mouth guard. Your Des Moines sleep apnea dentist will perform a thorough evaluation of your mouth, get a complete medical history, and examine any sleep studies performed on you. After all of this information is reviewed, an oral appliance will be custom-made for you. You will wear it at night, and you will soon experience the best night’s sleep of your life. With good sleep will come more restful nights, more productive days, and hopefully, fewer medical problems.
While it may take a few nights to adapt to having the oral appliance in your mouth, you will soon find that Oral Appliance Therapy is an easy, convenient, pain-free way to correct the potentially life-threatening sleep disorder known as Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
Many Des Moines sleep apnea dentists consider Oral Appliance Therapy to be even more effective than CPAP because OAT is easier to commit to than CPAP. People who travel a lot for work find it nearly impossible to take their CPAP apparatus with them on business trips, and the sheer bulkiness of CPAP is a big turn-off for many sleep apnea sufferers.
Here are some other advantages of the CPAP alternative in Des Moines known as Oral Appliance Therapy:
- Comfortable—no machine motors, tubes, or masks
- Convenient—easy to pack for travel
- Easy to clean—simply brush your oral appliance like you would your own teeth or soak it while you perform your oral hygiene routine
- Discreet—simply slip it in your mouth at night; no one will know except your partner!
- Non-surgical—sleep apnea surgery is always a last resort
- Non-mechanical—no loud motor noises while you’re trying to sleep!